Chicago has a wide range of apartments. There are many options around the city. Before you start hunting for your perfect apartment, make sure you know what you’re looking for in an apartment. Each Chicago apartment offers different things at different prices, so knowing what you want beforehand can make your search go faster and easier. This includes knowing your price range, having locations in mind, or knowing what amenities you need or want.
Best Apartments Near Me
There are many online resources you can use to find the best apartments in Chicago. As you start your apartment search, to get an idea of what you want in an apartment, free online resources can be a great tool. If you’re from out of town or new to the area, they can also be a great tool for getting to know the area and available options.
If you are looking for an apartment in the Chicago area, SRE Holdings can help. We are a professional real estate management firm who can answer any of your Chicago real estate questions.
Things to Consider Before Choosing a Chicago Apartment
Your living space should be chosen wisely. Especially if you’re going to spend a lot of time in your apartment. There are several things to consider when choosing your perfect apartment:
- Make sure you start your apartment hunting weeks in advance: It is best to start searching four to eight weeks before your move in date. The longer you wait, and the closer it gets to your move in date, the harder it will become to find the right apartment.
- Choose your neighborhood before you choose your apartment: You’ll want to make sure you’re comfortable in the neighborhood around your apartment. The neighborhood is going to play a greater role in your quality of life than your apartment itself.
- Remember there are scams out there: If the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Be on the lookout for scammers. They might be anxious for your personal information or want you to put down the application fee or security deposit in cash.
- Do your research: As you look for your apartment, do your research and question everything. This is most important when you’re from out of town.
- Keep in mind travel expenses: Where your apartment is located might dictate how much you are willing to spend in rent. For example, if you’re looking at the apartments in the city, but are walking to work, it might save you money to pay the higher rent. If you’re working in the city, but are commuting to work everyday, it might save money to buy a cheaper apartment outside the city, depending on the distance.
- Choose your agent carefully: It’s wise to choose an agent that is knowledgeable and trustworthy. Different companies have different areas of expertise, so you want to choose an agent carefully.
- Remember, you don’t need an agent: When it comes to finding an apartment in Chicago, you don’t have to use an agent, especially if you know what neighborhood you want to live in.
- Size shouldn’t be the deciding factor: Especially if you’re on a budget, don’t rule out a studio or one-bedroom apartment. It’s a good idea to have extra cash so you can enjoy the city.
- Be wary of online ads: If you see ads posted online that ask your bank account information, even before seeing the apartment, be careful. If you’re from out of town, have a friend or agent work with you.
- Make sure your landlord isn’t a slumlord: When it comes to Chicago, the city publishes a list of problem landlords. However, that list only features the worst. Do your own research on the landlord’s name.
- Be sure to check the complaints and police reports on your block: When it comes to Chicago, crime rates can be drastically different from block to block. Before you choose your apartment, check the crime reports for the block you’re wanting to move to. Also keep in mind that a Chicago neighborhood might seem quiet in the winter months as opposed to the summer months.
- Check the fine print: Before signing anything, make sure that you fully understand what you’re signing. What are included in the rent? What utilities are included? What is it your responsibility to replace? How often? Knowing details such as these beforehand will make your apartment living more enjoyable.
- Check your assets: Make sure you get renters’ insurance to cover any potential losses or liability. If you have car insurance, adding renters’ insurance on your auto insurance policy isn’t too hard.
- Never pay cash: Paying cash for anything apartment-related isn’t a good idea. It’s way too easy for scams. Someone can easily create a listing and pretend to be a landlord in order to get cash. It’s even quite common. If a landlord demands cash, stay away. Make sure you have a checkbook or card in hand to have a money trail. Getting a receipt is a good way to stay clear from these types of cons.
Following these guidelines will help ensure that you find the best apartment possible and will help you avoid scams.
Apartments for Rent in Chicago
There are many apartments for rent in Chicago. To get a rough idea of apartment spaces currently for rent, you can do a quick Google search. After you make a couple notes of apartment complexes with current openings, you can do your own research on the places, and even have a tour, whether digital or physical. Remember to start your research months before actually moving. Otherwise, you’ll have a less likely chance of being happy in your new place because of the time search restrain.
Whether you choose the more traditional route and get an agent, do your own physical apartment hunt, or you limit yourself to search for Chicago apartments online, SRE Holdings can help. SRE Holdings has representatives who are always available to help answer any of our customer’s questions or concerns. Contact us today!